Thursday, February 17, 2011

Mug Rug with Kid Drawing


I mentioned the other day that I've been looking for projects that keep Ben and me busy for a few days' worth of activity this winter, and here's another one.

Jenny: Mug Rug with Kid Drawing

I forget how exactly I came up with the idea of a mug rug involving a hand drawn panel by Ben. I'd been wanting to use fabric scraps to make mug rugs (aka coasters for your coffee or tea), a fun quick-and-easy project to get back in tune with my sewing machine. I'm thinking the inclusion of a drawing on fabric was probably inspired by SouleMama's books. To entice Ben to participate, I told him these would be gifts for whomever he chose.

The first step was getting him to draw some pictures on fabric. I started by taping some white cotton fabric scraps to a large piece of oil cloth-covered cardboard. My local fabric shop didn't have any fabric markers when I called but she suggested either trying one of the other fabric shops in town or using permanent markers -- which I could get at the drugstore that is walking distance from my house. We went with permanent markers (much easier than loading both kids in the car for a trip to a further fabric store!). Plus, permanent markers now come in a great array of colors!

Jenny: Mug Rug with Kid Drawing
Jenny: Mug Rug with Kid Drawing

Ben had so much fun drawing these panels. A couple of them tell a very convoluted story (one is an under the sea adventure, the other one is a Christmas story), and others are more abstract (a part of a rainbow, a pink box).

Jenny: Mug Rug with Kid Drawing

Drawing took a couple of days. 3-year-olds have the attention span of a flea. The day after that, I gave Ben my fabric scrap box and asked that he pick 4 pieces to frame each picture and 1 piece for the back of each mug rug. It was hilarious to listen to his commentary on the fabrics he recognized ("Dis one is from Henwy's burpcloth!" "Dis one is from dat thing on our dining woom table!") and to hear his very specific and opinionated choices for each mug rug ("Dis one will have polka dot", "Dis bee fabwic is great for the back of dis one" "Dis yooks POH-fect!"). Good times.

Jenny: Mug Rug with Kid Drawing
Jenny: Mug Rug with Kid Drawing

While he was napping the other day, I sewed the scraps onto the drawings in a simple log-cabin fashion and squared them off as best as I could.

Jenny: Mug Rug with Kid Drawing
Jenny: Mug Rug with Kid Drawing

Ben then helped me sew the layers together, flip them around and poke the corners with a chopstick (apparently a super cool trick!) then sew them shut and quilt them with a couple of squares. Needless to say, the stitching is quite a bit off-kilter on these little things but it adds to the kid-made charm!

Here's the front:

Jenny: Mug Rug with Kid Drawing
Jenny: Mug Rug with Kid Drawing

And here's the back:

Jenny: Mug Rug with Kid Drawing

Now, I need to get to the post office and mail these off (along with our Valentine thank you cards, ahem). In the meantime, I am loving my own little mug rug! When it's not in use, I've found it makes great art on my bulletin board, hung with a clip.

Jenny: Mug Rug with Kid Drawing
Jenny: Mug Rug with Kid Drawing


Angel-mini-buttonJenny I love this project, especially how involved Ben was in the whole process! They really turned out great.

5 comments:

  1. LOVE these!! So neat! Did you use batting in the middle?? XOXO, Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Monica!! Yes, I used 2 layers of cotton batting in the middle, totally forgot to mention that. I also forgot to mention that quilting with squares was inspired by those coasters you posted on your FB page a few weeks ago, I loved that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I'm gonna have to get started on a few sets of these for the grandparents for Mother's and Father's day!! Thanks for the idea... I even have all the stuff hanging around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello sir, I got you by Google search.

    Ok, so this is perfectly what I want to do – separate blog site on stumblesandstitches.blogspot.com.It is a amazing advancement of modern community .This web page offering many many information by this web page .I also like this web page. I’ve got two constant tasks now, but I’d like to add just a several more. Your recommendations were amazing and I’m going to apply them. Thanks for the outstanding post.As I want to talk about We realize that when you're looking for immediate offers while purchasing on the internet in Modern Australia you're worried about the protection of your dealings. At Kids rug, your personal and bank greeting card information are absolutely protected and secure behind our SSL technological innovation. We'll never complete your information on to anyone else, we guarantee. You are also welcome to use our Client Service Number 1300 625 582 and place your order over the phone.

    Thank you very much for your write Article.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, How are going on?

    This article will help everyone to know so much important information about on stumblesandstitches.blogspot.com. It is very alternative for people and helpful to anybody. You may know me by it Welcome to Rugstar.com.au, Australia's favorite online rug buying groceries in Australia: we get direct deals from the producer to you! We sell an implausible range of Australian favorite floor rugs, carpet rug, by way of shopping on-line you'll keep on shaggy, modern, wool, traditional and lots of different rug designs.

    Thank You Very Much For a Nice & Cool Article.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...