Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Stash Reorganization

By-Jenny2

I am proud to share that I have already made good on one my New Year's crafty resolutions! In whatever free minutes I gathered over a very rainy/slushy weekend a couple of weeks ago, I purged my fabric cabinet! I weeded out everything that I clearly will never use. I then refolded and reorganized the remaining stash.

Jenny: Stash Reorganization

Here are a few pics of the process:

Making some space in the formerly over-crowded fabric cabinet...

Jenny: Stash Reorganization

Outside my dining room...

Jenny: Stash Reorganization

Inside my dining room...

Jenny: Stash Reorganization
Jenny: Stash Reorganization
Jenny: Stash Reorganization
Jenny: Stash Reorganization

And here's the new and improved stash. I folded the fabric "narrowly" so that I could see all my quilting-weight prints at a glance. I made a separate pile for solids, and one for vintage pillowcases. There's a large pile for linens, another one for home dec weight fabrics, and one for interfacing type materials. The top shelf holds terry cloth, burlap, batting, flannels and various apparel fabrics like silks, corduroys and knits that I'd like to use for clothing projects. And that's about it!

Jenny: Stash Reorganization

I filled a huge bag with all the fabrics I decided I didn't need. Since I got most of these fabrics from my mom's stash or from the thrift store, I was going to give it away to Goodwill or free on Craigslist, but my friend Monica came over in the nick of time! She is a beginning sewer (and a loyal follower of this little blog!) and I hope she finds some treasures in there for her next sewing projects!!

I am so happy to have streamlined my fabric stash. I feel like I can breathe when I look at it now! This clear-headed feeling is helping my creativity. And to top it all off, I see now where there are gaps in my stash and what I might need to look for on my next visits to the fabric and thrift stores... Yay! Next on the re-organization list are the yarn stash and the general craft supply stash... Let's see if I can get it all done before January is up...

Jenny: Stash Reorganization


Angel-mini-buttonWAY TO GO! Yes, I can definitely see how that would help your creative process ENORMOUSLY. I am redoing my craft area AGAIN and realized after reading this that I have my fabric out, but all my burlap/batting/flannel/vintage sheets are in a bin, hidden in my bedroom closet. I think it's time to get them all out, on one shelf. Thanks for the inspiration!

2 comments:

  1. WoW!! A mention in my favorite blog! I'm so excited to see my name here! As the recipient of Jenny's aforementioned scrap purge, there aren't words for my gratitude, or the crafty inspiration I feel! Can't wait to see what becomes of these delightful pieces....soon I plan to move beyond scarves! Dare to dream! Thanks again, Jenny...we had a great time visiting with you and Kevin, cuddling baby Henry and playing with Ben. Can't wait to see you all again real soon! xoxox, Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monica, so glad you are finding useful fabrics in that big bag! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...