Thursday, January 27, 2011

Burlap Bulletin Board

By-Jenny2

Well, hello there! If you can believe it, I'm here with a project post! Yes, I was able to complete a 20-minute project over the span of the last 3 weeks! It was accomplished in 2-minute increments here and there between nursing sessions, Lego-building quality time with Ben and poopy diaper changes. Such a glamorous life we live...

Jenny: Burlap Bulletin Board

This project is something I've been meaning to do forever: making a large burlap-covered bulletin board for our built-in hutch / mail station / craft supply cupboard / space where all the clutter in the house goes to die.

Here's the Before picture (on a GOOD day, AFTER I had cleared off most of the clutter)...

Jenny: Burlap Bulletin Board

And here's the After picture (before any clutter made its way back)...

Jenny: Burlap Bulletin Board

Shortly after we moved in, back in 2009, I taped 4 squares of cork board as a temporary bulletin board area. I figured I would soon make a proper bulletin board and bought the foam core sheets for it. Fast-forward almost a year and a half and it still wasn't done. I decided this was the perfect 2-minute increment project to tackle right now.

Angel, I know you've made a fabric-covered bulletin board before, and the tutorials for them are all over the web. It's pretty straightforward, here are a few pics and words on my process.

I measured the space and cut the foam core to size (minus about 1/2 inch both direction, which would be filled in by the batting and burlap layers). I then wrapped it with a layer of batting secured with a few staples.

Jenny: Burlap Bulletin Board
Jenny: Burlap Bulletin Board

I picked a couple of burlap coffee bags with a clean, untorn back, and cut that out. I ironed those plain of pieces of burlap briefly with a steam iron to get them nice and flat.

Jenny: Burlap Bulletin Board
Jenny: Burlap Bulletin Board
Jenny: Burlap Bulletin Board

I wrapped my foam core pieces in the burlap, once again securing that layer with some staples and going around the edge with masking tape so it wouldn't budge.

Jenny: Burlap Bulletin Board
Jenny: Burlap Bulletin Board

And I was done! (Did I mention I made two boards? To fill out that long horizontal space.)

Jenny: Burlap Bulletin Board
Jenny: Burlap Bulletin Board

Since I was revamping and reorganizing that space, I decided to change the fabric covering the hutch windows (that hide my newly purged fabric stash). Out with the cherry blossom fabric and in with some crisp blue linen. Ta-da!

Jenny: Burlap Bulletin Board


Psssst! If you're a knitter -- or know a knitter -- go enter our giveaway, "From Our Stash to Yours".

1 comment:

  1. Love your corkboard re-do!

    Thanks for the tips.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...