Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Knitted Baby Blanket

By-Jenny2

Just before Henry was born, I was able to finish the knitted baby blanket on which I had frantically been working. I think I might have finished knitting it just on, or even after my due date! Fortunately, the little dude was 6 days "late" and I was also able to add the border before he arrived.

Jenny: Knitted Baby Blanket

I washed the blanket before adding the border. Since I used cotton yarn, washing the blanket shrunk the size quite a bit, but it also made the stitches thicker and more even, giving the blanket a thick and luxurious feel. The final size was about 22 x 24 inches.

Jenny: Knitted Baby Blanket
Jenny: Knitted Baby Blanket

You may remember I was debating what kind of fabric to use for the border. I visited my local fabric store and fell in love with this cream and brown print from the Meadowsweet collection by Sandi Henderson for Michael Miller. The cream color matched the yarn of the blanket exactly.

Jenny: Knitted Baby Blanket

I had JUST enough with 1/2 yard, should have probably bought a tiny bit more. I cut the fabric in 6.25 inch strips and assembled them with diagonal seams so that I ended up with one long strip. I folded and pressed it in half length-wise.

Jenny: Knitted Baby Blanket

I then pinned the raw edge along the blanket and sewed the border onto the blanket with the sewing machine. I used the Juicy Bits tutorial to figure out the corners.

Jenny: Knitted Baby Blanket

When the border was attached all around the blanket, I folded the border over and pressed it. (Sorry for the terrible picture here, this was taken after the sun went down...)

Jenny: Knitted Baby Blanket

I then stitched the flip side of the border over the seam by hand. I didn't want to deal with the sewing machine not catching both layers and having to undo my stitches multiple times, especially with the tricky corners. Stitching by hand took a bit longer but it was a much more peaceful process. My blind stitches are not exactly "blind", but close enough. I also blind-stitched the mitered corners "closed".

Jenny: Knitted Baby Blanket
Jenny: Knitted Baby Blanket

After washing it again, the borders are a bit wavy, but whatever. I am really happy with the result. It is such a cozy, warm blanket and I've already gotten several compliments on it, including from the nurse at the clinic when we got Henry ready to go home! He wasn't too happy about being strapped into the carseat, but at least he was warm!

Jenny: Knitted Baby Blanket
Jenny: Knitted Baby Blanket


Angel-mini-button It turned out great! I love the fabric. It goes great with the natural colored yarn. When I am off my "supply fast" I am going to KnitPicks to buy some of that yarn! I have to say that I am a little sad reading this post, knowing that Henry is going to be a lot bigger by the time I get to see him in person! He is so, so, so sweet!

.........................................................

Also, don't forget our giveaway! Magpie Patterns is offering one winner a $20 gift certificate to their shop. Contest ends Friday, December 10th! Go HERE to read the giveaway guidelines and to enter!

2 comments:

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...