Thursday, December 23, 2010

Henry's Stocking

By-Jenny2

Hello! 2 days till Christmas, weeeee!!!

Did you guys have a good Solstice celebration? We were so bummed to miss the eclipse, too many clouds here in Seattle. Our Solstice celebration was nice and mellow. Ben and I made treats for friends and family (peppermint bark and pumpkin-chocolate muffins, yum!). By the afternoon, I was stretched too thin between the 2 kiddos to make our usual bird treats, but we have the pine cones, peanut butter and bird seed ready to go and awaiting a free moment, which I'm sure we will get over the holiday weekend. (It's too warm here to make those suet cakes, bummer!) And my favorite part: the hubby made his "traditional" mushroom over polenta dinner, SO good!

I am so thankful for the Solstice and this time of rebirth. Yay for days getting longer! I am tired of sewing in darkness and of my pictures being so dull, ha ha. But, moving on... I wanted to show you the ONE project I've been able to complete in the last two weeks: Henry's stocking.

Jenny: Henry's Stocking

Do you remember how I embellished some basic red stockings for our family last year?

Jenny: Embellished Christmas Stockings

I had made an extra basic red stocking back then, so I dug it out of my crammed WIP box to finish for Henry this year.

Jenny: Henry's Stocking

It didn't have any white fuzzy lining, so I had to make that. I only had a couple of scraps of the original fuzzy white fabric, so I used a light blue fleece to make the rest of the lining... Using what's in the stash! The white is at the top to look consistent with the other stockings, and the blue fills out the stocking on the bottom.

Jenny: Henry's Stocking

(Notice the glass of white wine in the background? My husband apparently decided I needed something to take the edge off. Let's just say I was getting a teeny bit cranky at getting interrupted every 2 minutes by a screaming baby needing to be picked up and comforted ONLY by Mommy... He really is so sweet and cute, but oy, the inability to get anything done gets to me once in a while...)

Jenny: Henry's Stocking
Jenny: Henry's Stocking

For the embellishment, I decided to do something patchwork-y and blue. I used scraps of those lovely fabrics I have used several times in the past. I think it turned out pretty cute.

Jenny: Henry's Stocking
Jenny: Henry's Stocking

I attached the patchwork at the top of the stocking by top-stitching at the top and bottom of the patchwork band. I won't show you the back because it's a horrendous mess.

Jenny: Henry's Stocking
Jenny: Henry's Stocking

I drew and cut out the H for Henry, then top-stitched around its edges to make it look finished and pretend it is stitched to the front of the stocking...

Jenny: Henry's Stocking
Jenny: Henry's Stocking

And like last year, I taped (gasp!) the letter onto the front of the stocking because I still need to purchase some fabric glue. Maybe I will do that before the stockings come out of storage next year... In any case, we now have 4 stockings hung up, just in time for Santa to come pay us a visit!

Jenny: Henry's Stocking
Jenny: Henry's Stocking


Angel-mini-button Look at you! I think you should give yourself quite a bit of credit for finishing this stocking before Christmas just a few weeks after having a baby. The blue Denise Schmidt fabric on the far left (with the yellow centers) is one of my favorite fabrics I have in my stash currently, it reminds me of the night sky! I love how this turned out and am so happy you got it done. (And from now on, just go ahead and put a photo of Henry in all your posts, he is just too precious!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...