Tuesday, November 9, 2010

More Baskets


As my due date approaches, I feel like my projects veer increasingly into the "practical and boring" category. Sorry! I still wanted to share with you what I worked on last week: some cute fabric baskets to stock our diapering accessories. We'll most likely be cloth-diapering this little one and I needed containers for wipes and diaper covers.

Jenny: More Baskets

These fabric baskets are super easy to make and there are tutorials for them all over the internet. I winged it as I often do and they turned out fine. I used the heaviest interfacing I had for the sides and I am not sure it was heavy enough, but it'll do!

The baby will sleep with us for some time and we've set up the diaper changing station in our bedroom, so I used scraps and pieces of fabrics that I used in other bedroom decoration projects to give it a somewhat connected look. You'll recognize some prints from my burlap art!

The recipe for these is pretty straightforward:
- Cut 5 squares for the sides/bottom in both an outside and inside fabric, cut 2 rectangles for the handles
- Cut 5 squares of interfacing 1/2 inch smaller on all sides than your fabric squares and iron onto the inside (lining) fabric
- Sew all 4 sides together, for the outside fabric and the inside fabric
- Sew the bottoms onto the outside and the inside
- Make handles by folding edge of rectangles 1/2 inch in, ironing, folding in half, ironing again and top-stitching, then attach handles to the outside fabric
- Stuff the outside fabric into the lining and sew around the top, leaving a gap for turning
- Turn right side out, iron and top-stitch around the top, closing the opening

Jenny: More Baskets
Jenny: More Baskets
Jenny: More Baskets
Jenny: More Baskets
Jenny: More Baskets
Jenny: More Baskets

I made and finished these two baskets in one afternoon. The bigger one is 7.5 x 7.5 x 7.5 inches. The smaller one is 5 x 5 x 5 inches. I think the smaller one holds its shape better. I made the handles on the bigger basket too long and they are floppy.

Altogether, I'm pretty happy with the results -- and how quickly they came together! These will definitely be used a LOT!

Jenny: More Baskets
Jenny: More Baskets


Angel-mini-buttonJenny you are on a roll! The fabric is great, and like you say, you will use these A LOT!!! Great job!

4 comments:

  1. These are anything but boring! I can't wait to make some myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny - these are great! I love them. I've been looking for things to make for organizing my craft supplies and this is perfect! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacy! I'm glad you like them. It's funny to revisit this post now. We still use these baskets daily for diapering and baby supplies!

      Delete
  3. This looks perfect. I have a very brand new blog and will post my result on there! http://thecautioussewer.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...