Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Diaper Bag


Hello friend! Tick tock, tick tock, we are (hopefully) only days away from welcoming our newest addition. I feel like I've already slowed down quite a bit on making and posting here, and it's partly due to feeling so exhausted and overwhelmed, and partly due to Ben deciding to drop his awesome afternoon nap! I am not ready for this! Needless to say, it has drastically cut my productivity lately. Fortunately, he still sleeps a couple of times a week, and today is one of those lucky afternoons, so, without further ado, I thought I would post pics of my diaper bag!!

Jenny: Diaper Bag

When we did our little "Guess The Project" Giveaway, I told you that I was making the Dad Bag from Anna Maria Horner's Handmade Beginnings with a few modifications to make it mommy-friendly.

Jenny: Diaper Bag

This turned out to be a bit of a grueling project, both because of the aforementioned dropping of the nap and thus severe reduction in free time during which to make this bag, but also because of my vision for the modifications and some sewing machine issues. Anyway. It's done now, and before baby is born. I guess that's what matters!

Before I go into what modifications I made, here's a bit more of a peek at what the bag looks like (and my big 9-month pregnant belly!):

Jenny: Diaper Bag
Jenny: Diaper Bag
Jenny: Diaper Bag

If you or our readers are interested in more details, I can post about each of the specific modifications I made, since I took photos of the process and wrote down notes. In the meantime, here's a list.

- I made the Continuous Side (the strip of fabric that creates the bottom and sides of the bag) 1 inch wider.
- I added interfacing to the Continuous Side Lining and to the Front Lining (as opposed to just the Back Lining).
- I added 2 pockets for water bottles on the outside. They are lined with laminated cotton and have elastic at the top.
- I added 2 small pockets that close with velcro to the Outside Front for small items like pacifier, cell phone, antibacterial spray, etc.
- I added a large zippered pocket to the inside of the bag. It features a key ring.
- I made 2 elastic pockets on the inside for diapers and such.
- I added a magnetic snap to the Flap and the Outside Front.
- I made the shoulder strap out of fabric and several layers of batting for padding.
- I did not make the zippered pocket on the Flap.
- I did not sew elastic to the inside of the bag for holding items and bottles, aside from 1 piece on each end.

I think that about covers it. Here are a few photos of my modifications.

Jenny: Diaper Bag
Jenny: Diaper Bag
Jenny: Diaper Bag

I was shocked by how HUGE this bag is. I was not expecting that, but as I started filling it up, I remembered how much crap I lugged around on a daily basis when Ben was a baby. Here, I filled it up with the Moby Wrap, a few cloth diapers, a changing pad, some wipes, a change of clothes for Ben and a game of Go Fish! There is still a ton of room left.

Jenny: Diaper Bag

I think this bag will come in super handy! I am so relieved to have it done, as I really didn't have any other options for diaper bags, having given everything else away when we moved! Can't wait to put it to good use...

Jenny: Diaper Bag

Angel-mini-button I absolutely LOVE the way this turned out Jenny! The fabric is just perfect. You are going to be well prepared when you start taking both boys out into the world! It's so important to have a place for everything, especially with a newborn and a toddler. Ian was older than Ben when his baby brother arrived, so I didn't have to carry much for him when we went out. Can't wait to see this baby!

9 comments:

  1. You are a talented mama/daughter!! This bag looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It came out fantastic -- and I love seeing all your modifications you made (the side water bottle pockets are great...) Best of luck to you -- what an exciting few days of anticipation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Bag! I love it!! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the compliments!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to comment on this from my mac and it wouldn't work. It was something to the effect of: "You crack me up saying you have a hard time being creative and then being all: 'I made this bag, except I did this and this and this and this and made it way better than it would have been.' " I think it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, thanks Jen! I think that would be called creativity by way of practicality. I needed more functionality to the bag, hence the modifications.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Hello Ashley, thank you for your interest. Unfortunately, no, I do not sell diaper bags. This pattern is from a book for personal use only. If you'd like to see what I do make for sale, you can check my shop on Etsy here: http://jennybartoy.etsy.com. :)

      Delete
  8. Those modifications just show how fantastic you’re doing in your craft! The color is so nice, and the design is not complex but is splendid. Additionally, the size is just right for the things that you must carry. Thanks for sharing this, and by the time I’ll have my baby, I think I can also make my own bag that’s both functional and fashionable. :)

    Leonia Shearer

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...