Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Changing Pads and Burp Cloths

By-Jenny2

And here's more baby stuff!

Until the crazy snow storm stalled my labor-inducing efforts, I was feeling quite restless and keeping busy at the sewing machine. Last week, I made 2 diaper changing pads and a dozen burp cloths. They're nothing fancy but will come in super handy on a daily basis. It felt like a great project to complete!

Jenny: Diaper Changing Pads
Jenny: Burp Cloths

For the burp cloths, I followed the Juicy Bits pattern I have made several times before. A layer of cute fabric on one side, a layer of thick terrycloth (repurposed towels!) on the other, boom, done!


Jenny: Burp Cloths
Jenny: Burp Cloths
Jenny: Burp Cloths

For the diaper changing pads, I copied a pad my sister handed down to me, which is very practical but looks a bit girly. I cut a 24 x 14 inch rectangle out of 3 layers: cute fabric for the outside, flannel for the inside/baby changing side, and a layer of batting. I also cut a 30-inch piece of ribbon that I folded in two, for tying the diaper pad closed.

Here are a few pics that show the process of making these.

Jenny: Diaper Changing Pads
Jenny: Diaper Changing Pads
Jenny: Diaper Changing Pads
Jenny: Diaper Changing Pads
Jenny: Diaper Changing Pads
Jenny: Diaper Changing Pads
Jenny: Diaper Changing Pads

As you can tell, I used fabric I had on hand and didn't have quite enough flannel for these, so I added strips to the side to have wide enough pieces. They are so soft, I think they will be lovely to keep baby cozy during diaper changes!

Jenny: Diaper Changing Pads
Jenny: Diaper Changing Pads
Jenny: Diaper Changing Pads
Jenny: Diaper Changing Pads


Angel-mini-button Jenny, I have been sending "Wait baby wait" vibes to Seattle since we talked yesterday! I would be going stir crazy too, hang in there! I made a small doll quilt right before going into labor with Silas, I love being able to fall back onto creating when I am stressed.

The changing pads and burp cloths are so colorful! I loved the burp cloths you made for me, I had a similar idea for a changing pad based on one Angela made me when I was pregnant with Ian. It is the same exact concept, just terry cloth instead of flannel. What a great way to re-use towels, and I thought vintage sheets might make a good backing for them!

I hope you have a great Thanksgiving! I'm thinking about you.......

2 comments:

  1. IF you have any more time and nesting energy, I would recommend one of those diaper sleeves - you know, they hold 2-3 diapers, a wipe holder, and velcro shut? I found those really helpful because I didn't always use a diaper bag, and then I could just take this little package with me in my purse, stroller, wherever. Hey, maybe this should be one of my tutorial topics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, that is a great idea! I wish I had had time to make that before Henry decided to show up. Maybe that will be one of my first back-to-sewing projects when I get the hang of this 2-kid deal... I would LOVE to see your tutorial for this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...