Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Basket Liners

By-Jenny2

We have entered full-on nesting mode over here. I have been sorting, washing, organizing baby clothes, blankets, burp cloths, etc. My poor husband has been up and down to the basement countless times to gather baby equipment. We're getting ready... Only 3 weeks left... Or perhaps less...

Jenny: Basket Liners

One of the nesting projects I tackled last week was to make some baskets baby-ready. When we moved into this apartment in Seattle (a rental), we agreed not to buy any furniture to fit the space, but instead to make do with what we have. In terms of storage for baby stuff, this means we are having to use open shelving instead of drawers, hence the need for baskets.

I found some great baskets in the perfect size at Ikea, when we went to purchase Ben's big boy bed and the baby's crib. The price was right, the quality was good and the size was great. We bought 4.

Jenny: Basket Liners

After a few weeks of seeing them in a corner of our bedroom and thinking it over, I decided the natural color was all wrong. Plus, I wanted a washable layer between the baskets and newborn clothes. Instead of looking for new baskets, I figured I would paint them a darker brown and make some fabric liners. Kind of a boring project, but a quick one with practical results.

I painted the baskets with a chocolate brown acrylic paint thinned out with a bit of water. I probably needed an extra bottle of paint to get full coverage on the baskets, but eh, good enough. I measured them, then drew and cut a basic pattern for the liners: a panel for each surface with about 3-4 inches extra at the top for a border.

Jenny: Basket Liners
Jenny: Basket Liners

I am happy to report I used fabric from the stash! I found a light sage green and white striped print left from Ben's nursery linens. It seemed appropriate! Plus, there was more than enough yardage (I ended up needing 2.5 yards). The assembly was pretty straightforward, I sewed all the side panels to the bottom, then stitched the seams along the 4 sides.

Jenny: Basket Liners
Jenny: Basket Liners

When all 4 liners were assembled, I hemmed them at the top, leaving a 1-inch gap. I tested the liners in the baskets and they fit fine, aside from the borders looking a bit like little skirts.

Jenny: Basket Liners
Jenny: Basket Liners
Jenny: Basket Liners

Time to put in some elastic! I threaded it with a safety pin through that 1-inch gap.

Jenny: Basket Liners

And then I was done!

Jenny: Basket Liners
Jenny: Basket Liners

Most of the newborn stuff is washed, folded and now resting in the baskets. We're getting there...

Angel-mini-buttonOh, the pre-baby nesting!  I love it.  I think this is the absolute perfect project to do three weeks before the baby is due: straightforward, simple to complete and practical to boot!  What other crafty projects do you need to do before he gets here?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...