Monday, October 18, 2010

"Welcome Baby" Quilt: Done!

By-Jenny2

Hi Angel, and happy Monday! As you know since I announced it to all my friends a couple of days ago, my Welcome Baby quilt is done!!! I am so excited and relieved. I feel just a tiny, but significant, bit more ready to have this baby now... Now, to finish the other 150 things on my to-do list...

Here it is:

Jenny: Welcome Baby Quilt

In my last post about this project, I had just completed my quilt top. Shortly after that, I added my border pieces. I don't necessarily think a border is essential on this type of pattern, but I had cut the fabric for it so I decided to sew it on. I think I goofed on the measurements somewhere in the process again, since some of the blocks on the edge look all uneven in width now. Oy.

Jenny: Welcome Baby Quilt
Jenny: Welcome Baby Quilt

I put in a double layer of batting so this quilt would be warm and substantial enough to play on. I backed it with that snuggly flannel, and pinned the whole thing together with safety pins. I quilted straight lines 1/8 inch along both sides of the seams between the squares, both horizontally and vertically. And I quilted 1/8 inch on the inside of the center squares, which was quite tedious. You can see the resulting grid on the back of the quilt, I like it!

Jenny: Welcome Baby Quilt
Jenny: Welcome Baby Quilt
Jenny: Welcome Baby Quilt

Once the quilt was quilted, I made a few yards of bias tape with some Kona Cotton in Chocolate and pinned it along the edges. (Notice on the pic how I had JUST enough flannel for the backing? In some places the selvedge is slightly visible -- but was of course covered up with the binding.)

I then sewed on the binding and that was NOT a fun process. I thought I had mastered this somewhat after making my Baby Stripes quilt for Kristina, but I had a very difficult time getting the stitching-in-the-ditch to catch the opposite side of the binding in the right spot. It was either not enough or too much. So frustrating! (I have since tried another method of pinning the binding and I think I have figured it out!)

Jenny: Welcome Baby Quilt
Jenny: Welcome Baby Quilt

And here it is, all done front and back:

Jenny: Welcome Baby Quilt
Jenny: Welcome Baby Quilt
Jenny: Welcome Baby Quilt
Jenny: Welcome Baby Quilt

After I put the last stitch on that binding, I jubilantly exclaimed "I'm done! The baby quilt is done!". Only crickets in response, so I headed to the living room where I stood between my husband and his football game, holding up my precious project for him to admire. "What do you think?" I asked. "It's nice", he said. "It's very brown". Ah, men.

Angel-mini-buttonYay for finished objects! I'll bet it feels great to get this out of the way. The colors and prints are so "you", and it is very cool that you also learned something new (when you sewed on the binding) along the way!

Were you tempted to throw the quit over the husband's head while hitting him around the face and ears? Or, you could have draped the quilt over the TELEVISION to get his attention. If you can feign interest in sports, he can feign interest in your quilt, dammit! (Love to Mister B., you know I love ya......)

Still working on the video sync issue, but I'll have a video message up for you this week!

3 comments:

  1. Lucky kid! Looks beautiful and impressive as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steve! I always get a kick that you read this blog. When are you coming over to learn how to sew? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow so beautiful! Well done! =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...