Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Scrappy Squares Quilt: FINISHED!


It's done! My Scrappy Squares Quilt is FINALLY done!


Jenny: Scrappy Squares Quilt - Finished!

When I last posted about it, I had found a nice flannel for the back, assembled my layers and begun quilting. The quilting process took quite some time: the quilt was big and bulky, hard to maneuver around my basic sewing machine.

I also didn't make it easy on myself, choosing to quilt 3 squares for each block (1 square on the inside of each block's layer). In order to fit the quilt through my machine, that meant I had to stitch 2 L-shapes per square, then tie the threads together at the corners on the front and back of the quilt. (Does that make sense?) Bottom line: it was time consuming. There is a lot of puckering and it is by no means perfect, but it is DONE!

The next step was to make some bias tape. I had a couple of yards of Alexander Henry's Mocca in red. I love that fabric but it is so bold that I didn't know if I would ever be able to use it in a large project. Since it includes so many colors that are in the quilt's scrappy blocks, I decided to use it for the binding.


Jenny: Scrappy Squares Quilt - Finished!
Jenny: Scrappy Squares Quilt - Finished!

I followed a tip I saw on Cluck Cluck Sew a while back and zigzag-stitched the edges of the quilt. This secured all my layers together and made attaching the binding way easier.


Jenny: Scrappy Squares Quilt - Finished!
Jenny: Scrappy Squares Quilt - Finished!
Jenny: Scrappy Squares Quilt - Finished!

As I mentioned in my post about the baby quilt, I also figured out a better way to pin the binding in order to properly stitch in the ditch. It worked much better this time around.


Jenny: Scrappy Squares Quilt - Finished!
Jenny: Scrappy Squares Quilt - Finished!

And here it is, finished!


Jenny: Scrappy Squares Quilt - Finished!
Jenny: Scrappy Squares Quilt - Finished!

Here's the back:


Jenny: Scrappy Squares Quilt - Finished!

Here are some more detailed shots. This project has been in the works long enough, it deserves some gratuitous attention!


Jenny: Scrappy Squares Quilt - Finished!
Jenny: Scrappy Squares Quilt - Finished!
Jenny: Scrappy Squares Quilt - Finished!
Jenny: Scrappy Squares Quilt - Finished!

I'm happy to report the quilt has gotten a lot of use already. I routinely find Cali taking her nap on it. I've snuggled under it for TV-watching and knitting in our brisk fall evenings. And Ben includes it almost every day in his tent-, fort- and boat-building games in the living room. He also used it as a "dance floor" to give us a dancing, singing and juggling performance the other day, he he.

I am so happy to finally have this quilt as part of our regularly used family items!


Jenny: Scrappy Squares Quilt - Finished!
Jenny: Scrappy Squares Quilt - Finished!

If you're new to the blog, or simply wanting to revisit the progress on this project, here are some links:
- Just Do It
- Scrappy Squares
- Scrappy and Rainbow
- Progress
- Quilt Top
- More Progress!

Angel-mini-buttonJenny, it is wonderful!  I am so inspired to start a quilt of my own now!  Do you think it's best to start with a small one?

5 comments:

  1. yes, best to start small i think!!
    your quilt looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. coucou, j'adore ce que tu as fait. c'est magnifique ! tu penses que ça serait possible de me dire comment tu as fait , mais en français ! :) car les termes techniques en americain, ça va pas m'aider !! :) gros bisous a tous les 3 1/2

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jenny and Mathilde!

    Angel, the crib-sized baby quilts I've made so far have definitely been easier to make, quilt and finish than this one. So maybe starting small with a lap quilt or a baby quilt would be simpler and help build your confidence with the process. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really looks great, I never tried quilting, but with so many blogs on quilting I am tempted to do a quilt, hmm a little one...
    I love it very much because of its white base, white gives it a very delicate touch... simply elegant touch.
    I would love if you peek a little to me at
    http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
    hope you enjoyed there.
    Love
    Farah

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great interpretation of a classic quilt square!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...