Wednesday, October 20, 2010

More Burlap Art: A Little Love Bird

By-Jenny2

Hi Angel, I hope things are settling down a bit for you after a household full of sick boys, a little one who won't nap and a computer that won't cooperate! Things have been busy over here. I seem to have officially entered that last stretch of pregnancy which for me, means wanting to feverishly complete (ahem, start) every project under the moon. So yeah, I've been busy! Less than 5 weeks left till the little one makes his arrival -- assuming he is somewhat on schedule, unlike his big brother.

On and off this past month, I've been working on putting together ideas and visions for my Etsy shop. I thought I would give you a glimpse of the type of stuff I'm thinking of making and selling. I actually made a piece of burlap art yesterday, for one of my good friends here in Seattle.

Jenny: More Burlap Art

She's the first friend I made here after we moved and has an adorable son who is Ben's age. Just yesterday, she completed a 6-week treatment of chemotherapy and radiation. Her attitude throughout this process -- and since I've known her -- has been incredible and inspiring.

Needless to say, she has been on my mind a ton and I wanted to make her a little something to celebrate the end of her treatment. Last time she was over at my house, she spent some time checking out the burlap art hanging over my bed and made some really nice comments about it. I thought this might be a good direction for a little gift.

I wanted to make something small-ish, that she could either frame or pin on a bulletin board somewhere. Part of the work I've done toward the Etsy shop is to cut burlap coffee sacks into various sizes, and to then sew them onto muslin fabric. For this project, I picked one the 5 x 7 rectangles in my stash.

Jenny: More Burlap Art

Since she liked the burlap art I had previously made, I chose not to veer too far off path and went with a birdie. I simply re-drew my little pattern into a smaller version.

Jenny: More Burlap Art
Jenny: More Burlap Art

My thought -- and this feels really cheesy to write out -- is that it would be a little birdie who brings love to my friend, her husband and little boy in this challenging time in their lives. I went with a very simple heart shape in 3 different sizes and 3 different fabrics in coordinating orange and red colors.

Jenny: More Burlap Art
Jenny: More Burlap Art

I tried framing it in the only 5 x 7 frame I could find in our house to see what it would look like, and I was less than thrilled with it. I am thinking it's probably the type of art that needs to be matted then framed to give some space between the fiber and the frame.

Jenny: More Burlap Art
Jenny: More Burlap Art

What do you think? I have mixed feelings about it, it's not exactly matching my vision, and I also wonder if I should have used a piece of burlap with a less bold print. But, I do think it's pretty sweet and it was made with a whole lotta love. I am so nervous about giving it to her (and I am pretty sure she doesn't check the blog, so no worries about spilling the beans here!). I hope she likes it!

I'll keep you and our readers posted about the progress of the Etsy shop. Do you think this is a type of small-scale artwork in which people would be interested??

PS: Not that it excuses his ignoring my baby quilt in favor of his football game, but my hubby noticed this little project as soon as he got home from work, asking "Who's this for? This is nice!". Aw, totally made my day!

8 comments:

  1. I think it's beautiful- I love the idea of burlap in art and in crafts. Thank you for the inspiration as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it!! If it were framed it would need to float so it wouldn't be boxed in by the frame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for the compliments! They definitely boost my confidence. :)

    Chelle - do you mean floating in a double-sided glass frame? Or floating like in a shadow box? I guess I should google it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!! I would see this kind of framing:
    thecsiproject.com/2010/06/25/winners-of-the-frames-art-wall-decor-challenge/
    # 21,
    Or on www.trowbridgegallery.com/display-set.php?SetCode=ABB
    if you click "textiles" and then click each of the different pictures, you can see them really nicely framed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so cute! I love it. It almost could do without a frame though it is hard to tell without seeing it in person. Maybe a backing board of some sort, then mount directly on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the input, Mom and Caroline!

    I gave it to my friend today and she loved it! She said she would frame it, most likely with a white or linen mat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ABSOLUTELY PUT SOME OF YOUR WORK ON ETSY. I CAME ACROSS THIS ON PINTEREST, AND WILL BE LOOKING FOR YOU ON ETSY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, thank you so much for your comment. I do have a few burlap art pieces in my shop on Etsy. You can see them here: http://jennybartoy.etsy.com.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...