Friday, September 17, 2010

Link Love: Business Stuff

By-Jenny2

Happy Friday! I've been doing quite a bit of blog browsing lately, mulling over the feasibility of starting an Etsy shop in the VERY near future. It would mean building up some kind of inventory and setting up a store front within the next 2 months, before baby #2 arrives. Do you think I can do it??

In any case, I've been finding all kinds of interesting info. So I thought I would share!

- Last week, I shared that handbook from Etsy's blog The Storque, featuring everything you'd possibly want to know about opening a shop. This week, they posted a nice article about taking good photographs of your artwork.

- The blog CraftMBA is a goldmine of helpful information for crafters, whether it be marketing, pricing for profit, basic business tips, etc.

- Allisa Jacobs of Quiltish has been writing a nice series called Business Bits. I've linked to her posts several times in the past, I really like her short and sweet take on the basics of craft business.


- And of course, there is the book The Handmade Marketplace: How to Sell Your Crafts Locally, Globally, and Online by Kari Chapin. I've been meaning to get it from the library for ages, and am adding it to my hold request list as soon as I post this!

Do you or our readers have other helpful links to share? Any input or advice about starting an online shop of handmade goodness?

Have a lovely weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I just started the process of starting a home based craft business, and I would definitely recommend the book "Craft, Inc" authored by Meg Ilasco. My tentative plan is to sell on Etsy as well as the local farmers markets, I don't know if that would work in your area as well? So far I haven't been focusing too much on inventory, I'm just trying to get all the legal paperwork done! I'm sure that any business you put together will be absolutely amazing! Just don't let yourself over think it (I know I do that quite frequently)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip, Aila! I am adding this book to my library list! It sounds familiar, I'm sure I've seen it mentioned or reviewed on craft blogs in the past. And thank you for the sweet encouragement!!

    What kind of craft business are you working on? Please share here when you are launching your shop!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...