Thursday, August 19, 2010

Little Dude Necktie

By-Jenny2

So, as I wrote in my last post, we were just in Santa Barbara for a wedding. About a week or two before we headed out of town, I started freaking out. What was my kiddo going to wear to the big event? I didn't have any formal attire for Ben whatsoever, aside from khakis and a casual button-down. I'm not one to stuff my kid in a suit for a wedding, but I still wanted him to be appropriately dressed.

Thank goodness for mama buddies! I put the word out to a couple of my local friends with boys and was able to borrow dark pants, a chic button-down and some black shoes for Benjamin. Still, having no idea how "California casual" or "Hollywood fancy" the event was going to be, I wanted to be prepared for the more formal scenario. I figured a tie would be a good thing to have in my back pocket, just in case. I was however quite unwilling to spend $20 or more on one, in case it stayed in my back pocket all night. So... I made one!

Jenny: Little Dude Necktie

Well, actually I made two, because I couldn't decide on fabric, and I hadn't seen the shirt we ended up borrowing by that point. Plus, if I'm going to go through the process, might as well make it worth my time and double up on the results!

I found this free, straightforward necktie pattern (PDF) by Ottobre Design. It's printable and only has about 3 steps. For fabric, I used a thrifted navy blue with white design cotton curtain for one tie, a fat quarter of Denyse Schmidt's Hope Valley for the other tie, and a thrifted navy blue pillowcase for both linings.

Jenny: Little Dude Necktie
Jenny: Little Dude Necktie
Jenny: Little Dude Necktie

This project is extremely straightforward, with one disclaimer: unless your fabric is super thin, don't use interfacing, it is not necessary. I used the thinnest interfacing out there and it still ended up making the tie nearly impossible to turn inside out. I had to wrestle with a safety pin and a chopstick, cussed up a storm, and almost gave up on both ties. It took me forever and then a bit longer to turn them all the way. The interfacing also makes the tie quite "unforgiving", as my husband put it, to tie on. In summary: skip the interfacing for this necktie!

Jenny: Little Dude Necktie
Jenny: Little Dude Necktie

Another tip for this project is to add a "tuck-in" thingie on the back of the tie. The tail kept sticking out to the side and I ended up stuffing it between a couple of shirt buttons.

In the end, Ben would have totally fit in without the tie. BUT, since 1) he was very excited during the tie-making process, asking me a whole bunch of questions, 2) he admired his dad putting on a suit and TIE before the wedding, and 3) his little buddy the ring bearer was also wearing a tie for the ceremony, we figured we might as well put it on him and avoid a disappointed melt-down! He loved it so much, it was too cute!

Jenny: Little Dude Necktie
Jenny: Little Dude Necktie


Angel-mini-buttonI will forever have the image of you throwing a fit while wielding a chopstick stored in my memory, for whenever I need a good laugh. I am imagining you with the tie pinned in between your knees with you pulling on it and poking it violently. Last time I got that frustrated is when I was making a strap for something and needed to turn it inside out, it kept getting stuck and I almost had an aneurysm.

As always, Ben is adorable. He is growing so fast! And just wait, when the new baby gets here Ben will look like a giant. The ties are fab, great job!

3 comments:

  1. What a cool project! I'm going to add this to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angel, your vision of my wrestling with the chopstick is pretty darn accurate! My husband always jokes that he never knew I had so many bad words in my vocabulary until I started crafting regularly!

    Blair, thanks! It's a quick and easy project, let us know how it turns out!

    Also, I just fixed that link to the Ottobre pattern PDF. It should work fine now, apologies to those who tried to open it unsuccessfully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's too adorable to be true, Jenny! And it shows a lot about your resourcefulness. I guess that's one trait that all mothers possess, huh? It was a good call that you didn't just slip the necktie onto your back pocket. That could've ruined things for little Ben!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...