Thursday, August 26, 2010

Baby Kimono from Habitual:

By-Angel



Angel:  Baby Kimono from Habitual

One of the first projects I finished when I got my sewing machine back was this sweet baby kimono from Habitual.  It had been hanging out in my WIP basket for over a year!  I started it when I was still pregnant, so you can do the math. 

Angel:  Baby Kimono from Habitual

I went back to read your post about making kimonos from Weekend Sewing, and the Habitual pattern seems to be much simpler to sew. I do wonder how they would compare in fit, since that is the true test of a pattern.  When I make a gift for someone I want it to be beautiful AND practical (and that means it should fit and be comfortable!)  This one is the 6 to 12 month size, so in all honesty it's too small for Silas at 13 months.  But I think it would have fit him 6 to 9 months pretty well, maybe up to 10 months.

Angel:  Baby Kimono from Habitual

I still think it looks pretty cute!  If this was the next size up I could see using it for pajamas.  I'd love to use snaps on the inside and outside instead of tying, I feel like all that tied bias tape is too bulky.  


Angel:  Baby Kimono from Habitual

Have you picked a pattern for Ben's pajamas? I'm on a fabric buying fast, at least for the next month or two. The only exception is if I find fabric at the thrift store! I may have something in my stash that would work, although some nice flannel would be cozy with Autumn around the corner!  (WHY did I just go to Modern Organic Fabrics and click on THIS?  No buying!)  I'm thinking I will try the Weekend Sewing Pattern next, and see which one seems to fit the best.  I'll report back! 

You can get the pattern from Habitual here:  Baby Kimono Pattern , she does ask you to email her for a copy of the pattern which is a change since I downloaded it several years ago.

There's also a Flickr group for the Habitual Baby Kimonos, some really cute stuff in there!

OK, I'm off to look up what "stitch in the ditch" means, I just can't keep up this charade!  I've read it in two of your posts and am so clueless about sewing terms that I have to look up the definition.  I have a feeling I should know what this is!

Jenny-mini-button Yay for getting all these projects completed!! That kimono is so cute. And so is the kiddo, I can't believe how big he's getting! I think the fit is probably better on this one than on the Heather Ross kimono. I got pics from two of the moms to whom I sent kimonos as gifts, and the babies -- while absolutely adorable -- didn't seem like they were all that comfortable. Maybe I'm being overly critical and self-conscious.

In any case, if this Habitual pattern is easy, I might try it next time I make a baby kimono. I'd love to try one of those in a knit fabric, wouldn't that be so comfy? I have yet to jump in and try sewing with stretchy fabrics... I don't have a specific pattern for Ben's PJs, I was just going to make some basic pants in cute fabrics and buy some matching snug t-shirts -- easy! With 2 boys in the house soon, I'm scheming about matching PJ's in newborn and 3T size...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...