Thursday, July 22, 2010

Show and Tell: Urban Craft Uprising

By-Jenny2
A couple of weeks ago, I finally made it to the Urban Craft Uprising show. It is a local indie craft fair here in Seattle, and happens twice a year. I was so bummed to have missed it last December, I made a point to attend this one. My friend Frannie and I left the kids with the husbands at the International Fountain on a gorgeous Sunday and ventured into the Exhibition Hall to explore the crafty offerings.


Urban Craft Uprising

We were not disappointed! What talent and inspiration! Jewelry, art, household items, clothing, baby stuff... We saw a lot of screen-printed stuff, that seemed to be the new "it" thing: printing original designs on various fabric scraps that customers can purchase to applique on a tote bag or a t-shirt, or to frame -- Frannie got a few cute ones. I was blown away by all the original designs in clothing and accessories, quite impressive.

Here are a few crafters who caught my eye...

I think my favorite was Laura Bucci, due to her aesthetic and the professional quality of her collection. Her stuff incorporates a lot of retro designs and natural fabrics like plain linen, with clean, modern lines. You can see a selection of her items in her Etsy shop, and more on her blog. I loved her linen pouches and other such accessories.



The paintings by Rachel Austin were gorgeous. A lot of her scenes are painted onto old maps, giving them a layered and upcycled look. I look forward to the day when I can afford to furnish my home with real, independent artwork! You can check out her Etsy shop here and her blog here.



Visiting from Oakland, Field Day Wearables offered quite the selection of original designs sewed from re-purposed or organic materials. Their style is more edgy and rock-n-roll than what I'm likely to wear, but they had a whole series of super cute, vintage-y dresses made solely from thrifted bed sheets. Very cool. They also had a bunch of those screen-printed patches I mentioned earlier.


urban-craft-2

Hoot Organic had the cutest baby hats, made from organic and eco friendly materials. Check out her online shop here. Seriously, too cute! And she has found some adorable boy prints too, no easy feat.


urban-craft-3

And finally, BoodleBags sold an array of diaper bags and other baby accessories. I thought her Baby Boodle design in particular was pretty brilliant: it's a diaper changing pad, but with a wrist strap and two flaps that hold diapers and wipes. Nifty.



There was so, so much more but these are the vendors from whom I grabbed business cards! I will have a newborn by the time the December show comes around. Maybe I can drop by with him in the sling, we'll see... If some of our readers are in the Seattle area, I definitely recommend checking out Urban Craft Uprising.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I want to go to the next Urban Craft Uprising so bad! I wasn't able to go to the last one because I was working. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. love Laura Bucci's stuff...wish i were in the Seattle area!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...