Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sandwich Wraps

By-Jenny2

Hello friend! This will be a brief post, since it's already after 9PM at the end of a long, crazy, busy day for me. I hope you had a wonderful day and that Silas' first birthday was a ton of fun!!

Jenny: Sandwich Wrap

I wanted to let you know that Ian's sandwich wraps are done! After you showed me that tutorial, I realized I actually own the book in which this pattern is featured: Sewing Green by Betz White.

Jenny: Sandwich Wrap
Jenny: Sandwich Wrap

Since I had that Nicey Jane laminated cotton on hand, it was easy peasy to get rolling on this project. I am happy to report it took less than a couple of hours to get a pair of these sandwich wraps made, start to finish. And this included a lot of issues with the tension on my sewing machine, including much snapping and breaking of my thread. Ugh. I still am not sure what the deal was, quite possibly working with laminated fabric? Either way, quick project to complete.

Jenny: Sandwich Wrap
Jenny: Sandwich Wrap
Jenny: Sandwich Wrap

I do have one minor concern about using this fabric. It is laminated, but only on the "outside" of the wrap, not the inside. Does that defeat the purpose of using a waterproof fabric for this project? I hope it still works fine to properly wrap sandwiches. You'll have to report.

The PUL that Betz White uses in her project looks so similar that I didn't really question the fabric thing until I was nearly done sewing. From what I read online, the laminated cotton is machine washable, and even dryer-friendly according to some. If these wraps end up being super lame though, there's always these from Reusit. (I'm thinking of trying to replicate that pattern, I like it!)

Jenny: Sandwich Wrap
Jenny: Sandwich Wrap

A few tips... Pins poke holes in laminated fabrics like this one or oil cloth, so pin only if you have to and try to stick to the seam allowance. Velcro is a pain in the butt to sew onto this, I found it was easier to start with the diagonal than with the circumference as instructed. Before working with laminated fabrics, I would check the user manual for your sewing machine and find out their recommendations for tension, needle size, etc -- something which I didn't do and which resulted in rather sloppy stitching (sorry!).

Jenny: Sandwich Wrap
Jenny: Sandwich Wrap

Here they are! I am so pleased I was able to contribute a little something to Ian's big debut in kindergarten. They'll be going in the mail to you by the end of the week, along with Silas' belated birthday gift which I will post about here later.


Jenny: Sandwich Wrap
Jenny: Sandwich Wrap


Angel-mini-buttonJenny those look great! I love the fabric. I can't wait to show these to Ian! He loves the snack bags you made him, he always says "Hey, let's use those bags Jenny made me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...