Friday, July 30, 2010

My First Applique


As I mentioned on our Facebook page the other day, I've been working on a backpack for Ben's 3rd birthday, using the Toddler Backpack pattern by Made by Rae.


Jenny: Rocket Ship Applique

I'll go into more details on actually making the backpack soon. It's not quite finished yet. And yes, I know Ben's birthday was 3 days ago. He's cool with it. I think the few tons of gifts he received from family and friends are keeping him otherwise occupied.


Jenny: Rocket Ship Backpack

So, I thought that today I would show you how I embellished the front of the backpack. Since I selected a pretty muted color scheme for the fabrics, I felt like it could benefit from some kind of fun design on the front. Ben has been obsessed with space and rocket ships lately, so I started looking for rocket ship illustrations.

Jenny: Rocket Ship Applique

I wasn't sure whether I should iron on a fun rocket ship image or applique some fabric in the shape of a rocket ship. When I showed my husband some examples of both to help me decide (see above for the applique I put in front of him), he basically answered "The applique is much cooler!" though he didn't actually use the word "applique", he probably just said "Doh, that one."

So I went with applique. Thanks husband, for picking the difficult option! Here's the little sketch image I selected during my Google Image searches. I love the shape of it and thought I could use ribbon and a button to create the levels and the window.


I picked fabrics that matched my striped backpack fabric, except brighter. I ironed the scraps onto lightweight interfacing, then cut out my shapes and laid them out on the fabric for the backpack front.

Jenny: Rocket Ship Applique
Jenny: Rocket Ship Applique

I was pretty happy with the look of it, so I went ahead and sewed some green ribbon onto the main rocket ship piece to replicate the levels on the sketch.

Jenny: Rocket Ship Applique

I pinned everything and started sewing with a tight zigzag stitch. Now remember, I have never done any machine applique before so this was an experiment. After sewing on the first wing, I realized my stitch width was way too broad, so I shortened it for the second wing. See the difference below?

Jenny: Rocket Ship Applique

I ripped out the wider stitch side (that was fun...) and fixed the right side. I then appliqued the fire. Tricky tricky tricky with all those points and tights corners. It turned out okay, I think, though not perfect by any means. But once again, first experiment with applique ever!!

Jenny: Rocket Ship Applique

The last stitching I did was the green around the main rocket ship piece, so as to cover the edges between it and the smaller pieces. Here it is.

Jenny: Rocket Ship Applique

I sewed on a wooden button for the window, and my rocket ship was ready to take flight!

Jenny: Rocket Ship Applique

I'm hoping to post about the finished backpack next week. Wish me luck with finishing that sucker!

Angel-mini-buttonSo Ben was spoiled a little for his birthday? You might as well get used to it, you are such a generous gift giver that he is simply cashing in on your good karma.........
I can't believe what a difference changing the stitch width made! Wow. I had to look at the photo for awhile to pick up on it but you are right, the smaller stitch looks much better. Very creative way to use the sketch, too! I love seeing how you find your inspiration.......

4 comments:

  1. wow this looks really great! i especially like the yellow stitching as it really give depth to the fire shooting out! and the wooden button is definitely a "piece de la resistence"!!!
    i took french in high school...i this that means fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing absolutely nothing about this -- would it make sense to use that stuff that when you iron it it sticks things together? Then it would be stuck there while you stitch around the edges? Or would that gum up your needle/machine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jenny!

    Jen, since I am brand new to applique, we may need some more experienced people to chime in here. But, from what I've read here and there, I think that you can use a "fusing" spray or something like it to temporarily glue the applique pieces to your fabric so you can then stitch it on. Double-sided interfacing would probably work the same, ironing both sides to the fabrics so it all stays together. I just only had one-sided interfacing in the light weight. Do you have a project/experiment in mind? Let us know what the results are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I was just thinking how irritating it must have been to keep all those little pieces still and stitch around the edges. :-) It's very cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...