Thursday, June 24, 2010

Show and Tell: I Love Patchwork

By-Jenny2

I've been drooling all over the book you gave me during my visit to Nashville, but since we've been talking about Anna Maria quite a bit around here, I figured I would wait a while before gushing some more! Instead, I thought I would focus today on another book that has quickly made its way into my heart: I Love Patchwork: 21 Irresistible Zakka Projects to Sew by Rashida Coleman Hale.


Jenny Spotlight: I Love Patchwork

After waiting for it for what seemed like forever from the library, I finally got an email last week that it was waiting for me at my local branch. Yippee! I had a feeling from seeing this book reviewed around the blogosphere a few months back that I might like it, and I was wrong: I LOVE it! I love the simple but practical projects, I love the mix of cute colorful prints and natural linens, I love the clean layout and straightforward instructions. It is a great book!

She starts out with the basics, including the tools you need and what to have in your stash. I found her descriptions of various weights and linens quite helpful. I never know what ounces feel like. She also goes over a bunch of simple but useful techniques, including how to make mitered corners! I finally get it! And then she dives into the projects...


Jenny Spotlight: I Love Patchwork
Jenny Spotlight: I Love Patchwork

There are so many things I want to make in this book! The patchwork bordered apron, the coaster set (a great housewarming gift!), the fabulous button calendar, the sewing machine cover, the linen kitchen towels.... The list goes on. It's rare for me to like so many projects in a book.


Jenny Spotlight: I Love Patchwork
Jenny Spotlight: I Love Patchwork
Jenny Spotlight: I Love Patchwork
Jenny Spotlight: I Love Patchwork

I highly recommend this book, especially if you want to learn some basic patchwork. Rashida Coleman Hale also has a lovely blog, appropriately called I Heart Linen. I am definitely putting I Love Patchwork on the "must buy" list and am now full of inspiration... and in search of yards of linen that won't break the bank!

Angel-mini-buttonJenny I will send good thrifting vibes your way!  I found that huge piece of linen last year and still haven't used it all!  It must have been 4 or 5 yards worth.  I am not surprised to find that the Nashville Library does NOT have this book available.  I might have to pull out all the stops and do an interlibrary loan for this one!  You didn't mention what you are going to make first!  It looks like the patterns really highlight all those cute Japanese fabrics that are so expensive you can only afford to buy 1/4 yard, I love it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...