Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Travel Bags

By-Jenny2

I'm so excited, I sewed for myself last week! You and I have talked before about how difficult that can be, and how much easier it is to sew for others with a "deadline" and the purpose to give gifts. Well, this time I had a deadline: my trip to Texas and Tennessee. The shoulder-strap purse I'd been using for a couple of years had a broken zipper and it was time to make a new one!

Jenny: Hobo Buttercup

I decided to adapt the buttercup purse pattern into a hobo bag. Having worked with it before, it was familiar and I knew I could easily modify it. I added about 2 inches on every side, aside from the bottom where I added about 4 inches. I made the pleats wider. I made the strap a shoulder strap instead of a small handle. And I added a layer of batting to make this a substantial everyday bag.

Jenny: Hobo Buttercup
Jenny: Hobo Buttercup
Jenny: Hobo Buttercup

I'm very happy with it! I have been using it for a few days already and it's a great, convenient bag. I love that it is unique, I love that is has natural linen as the main fabric, and I love that I made it for myself!

For my brother's wedding party, I needed a purse. Instead of buying one, I decided to make that too! I'll be wearing a bright springy green dress and decided a classic black purse would probably be best. I picked a crisp black linen for the outside and a funky Alexander Henry print from a few years ago for the inside. I didn't get too creative here, I just followed the buttercup pattern once again, to a tee. I had made this purse for the women in my family at Christmas time but never made one for myself. So, it was time to rectify that.

Jenny: Black Linen Buttercup
Jenny: Black Linen Buttercup
Jenny: Black Linen Buttercup

The pictures are terrible, I'm sorry! It actually turned out really well and looks more polished than my previous attempts at the buttercup pattern. I think it's the crisp linen.

Finally, I decided to make one more thing for the trip: a laptop pouch based on my pocket pouch pattern. I used upholstery canvas for the outside and a layer of batting to pad the whole thing.

Jenny: Laptop Case
Jenny: Laptop Case

I'm not too happy with the fabric combo, but it is much more convenient than the bulky laptop case, especially when traveling with a little one!

I know you've been busy with a bunch of different projects lately, with the renovation, Ian's birthday and the end of the school year. Have you had a chance to sew for yourself at all recently? Did your spring top get relegated to the bottom of the to-do pile? That's so easy to do, isn't it? I'm looking forward to seeing what you've been up to!

2 comments:

  1. Cute! I like the hobo mod!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rae!! And thanks for your fab patterns!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...