Thursday, May 6, 2010

Show and Tell: Debbie Bliss

By-Jenny2

Sitting on my dining room table right now is a pile of library books I just got last week, including Martha's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric (fab!), Denyse Schmidt's Quilts (super fab!) and, more on point, a couple of books by Debbie Bliss. She is a big name in the yarn and knitting world, but I only recently discovered her and wanted to share that here.

That little grandpa sweater I made for Silas last year? The pattern came from Debbie Bliss' Special Knits for Babies, a gorgeous book. (And let me just say her pictures look much nicer than mine, ahem.)


Jenny: Baby Grandpa Cardigan
Jenny: Baby Grandpa Cardigan
Jenny: Baby Grandpa Cardigan

I had talked about that same book in my post about baby blankets a couple of months ago. As you can probably tell, I became enamored with Debbie Bliss' designs when looking for baby projects. She has created so many patterns for baby clothes and accessories, and for the most part, they are a lovely mix of classic and contemporary, with clean lines and straightforward patterns (totally my style!). Here are a couple of things I am determined to make sometime soon.


Spotlight: Debbie Bliss

When digging around for more Debbie Bliss patterns, I found out she has published countless books, including some with patterns for adults, older children and the home. She has a line of yarn in gorgeous colors and a variety of luxurious and eco fibers. And she also is the editor of Debbie Bliss Knitting Magazine (for Vogue Knitting) which is a steal per issue considering the number of patterns provided inside. When venturing away from baby stuff, her style is still clean and classic yet fresh. I also love the way the designs are styled in the photos that accompany the patterns, much more fashionable than the average knitting publication.


Spotlight: Debbie Bliss
Spotlight: Debbie Bliss

I have a cardigan to finish for myself at the moment. It's been a painfully slow, months-long process even though it's a simple project, I think it's because it's for *me*. Why is it that I'm so less driven to finish something for myself?? After that, I have countless projects in mind to cast onto the knitting needles. But, the patterns from Debbie Bliss' books keep beckoning me... Might have to make another baby sweater sooner than later. What knitting projects are you working on these days?

Angel-mini-buttonOh, I wish I had a picture of Silas in that sweet cardigan! It's already put up for the summer but it will fit him later this year, too. I have checked out her books from the library multiple times, mostly the baby one but I've looked at the others too. I've made the baby booties for a few friends, and my sister made the heart sweater for Silas as well (just a note, the neck hole doesn't seem to be very stretchy on that one, might be an error in the pattern?)

I am mostly a Fall and Winter knitter, but I do always have something on the needles. Right now it's a sweater for Ian, knit in one piece and sewn up the sides. I think it would have been a little big for him this year anyway, or at least I'm telling myself that! I think knitting is such a slow process that it's easy to get sidetracked and set things aside, especially if it's for yourself!

2 comments:

  1. I just ordered a bunch of yarn from knitpicks.com, at a very good price... Maybe you already know them? I'll tell you about my order when I get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mom! Yes, I already know KnitPicks and have been a fan for a long time! The organic cotton yarn I used for Silas' cardigan above was actually from KnitPicks! What new yarn did you get? Are you going to knit a Debbie Bliss pattern with it?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...