Monday, May 3, 2010

Rain, rain go away..........

By-Angel

Hey Jen, no project post for today.  The devastation in the Middle Tennessee area is so bad that posting pictures of curtains or showing you the progress on the new space in the house just doesn't feel right.  The images from the news, people floating in their cars on the interstate, collapsed buildings, flooded homes, they're all burned into my brain right now and it's hard to think about anything else.

My heart goes out to all those that have lost their homes, lost loved ones, are stranded outside the city trying to get back to their families.  This morning there were several hours I thought we might lose our house from flooding.  More friends than I can count have flooded basements or leaky roofs (or both).  You know how bad it was for my sister and her family earlier.  All major interstates are closed, some areas have mandatory curfews in place.  It literally looks like a war zone out there!

Thankfully, after two days straight of insane rainfall, there is no precipitation coming down as I write this.  I'm looking around at my dry house, my healthy kids and my rock star husband that saved our house from flooding this morning and feeling very, very lucky indeed.

I'm going to link to the Nashville Red Cross site, in case anyone out there wants to donate to help victims of this disaster.  I'm not sure how long it will take our city to recover, but there are definitely folks in need of assistance.

And dude, I am looking forward to some boring, normal, uneventful days.  As I've lamented to you on a weekly basis, it has been one thing after the other around here.  So onward and upward, and I'm sending my blessings to all those hurting this evening.

Jenny-mini-button I have been glued to the computer for the last two days, refreshing the news and Facebook for updates from all our friends and family. This is a terrifying disaster and I just am so thankful that everyone I know in Nashville is safe and sound so far, despite quite a bit of flooding and damage to some of their homes. I can't help but wonder how our old house is faring and what we'd be going through right now, had we stayed in Tennessee.

I had meant to make some progress on some new projects this weekend and instead, have been so distracted by news of the flooding and worries for our friends and family. I totally hear ya, crafting and blogging in the midst of this kind of event just feels superficial. Here's hoping that we all settle back into a lovely, "normal" (whatever that is!) routine soon soon soon. Hugs to you and the whole family, and good thoughts to all our Nashville readers. Stay safe and dry.

4 comments:

  1. Angel! So glad to hear your house made it ok. My family all lives in Nashville. My sister's neighborhood and home suffered damage and flooding. It broke my heart to hear her shaky voice from it all. She worked so hard to help all her neighbors. We continue to pray for all of you guys down there! Love & Prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Angel and Jen - been thinking about the folks in Nashville, I chipped in a little at the Red Cross site, thanks for the link. Hope everyone who is stays safe, and that recovery is speedy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa and Steve, thank you so much for the kind words and the donation. I don't want to take Angel's place in replying on her post, but just wanted to express my gratitude for your good thoughts and wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa and Steve, thank you so much for your posts. We are hanging in there. My family didn't experience anything close to the damage others have, and we should have everything back to normal by next week. Right now our biggest issue is water, people are not conserving like they should and we are down to 1/3 of what we'd normally have in potable water coming in.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...