Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Spring Top: Progress, Progress...

By-Jenny2

Tick tock, tick tock. Only 3 days left till submission for the Spring Top competition... I *think* I can get it done, we will see. How about you? I know you've had so much going on lately, have you found time to get started on your top?

So, let's see. Let me update you on my end... There has been progress! Yes, yes!

I ended up picking Top 1 out of my 4 options (thanks for the input!). I started by taking all kinds of measurements of that cute Target top and jotted them down in my little notebook along with drawings of the different pieces involved. Being very visual, this helps me "get the picture" (no pun intended) and have points of reference in lieu of instructions. I then drew my pattern by finding each piece of the top, laying it down as flat as possible on my pattern paper and tracing it.

Jenny: Spring Top Progress
Jenny: Spring Top Progress
Jenny: Spring Top Progress

Note: do not draw on pattern paper with markers that are not fabric markers. Ugh. The stupid Crayola marker transferred on my fabric, which means I'll have to wash my Top before I can photograph it for the competition. Double ugh.

Moving on...

I cut my pattern pieces, ironed the fabric and pinned the pattern onto it. (That lilac polka dot fabric does not iron well at all, I'm not sure why.)

Jenny: Spring Top Progress

I made one cut with my scissors before I realized I had to add 1/2 inch seam allowance. Woops! So I un-pinned everything, and re-pinned with enough space around the pattern pieces. I am such a spaz, I had even written on each pattern piece a big "add 1/2 inch allowance", doh. Anyway, nice save, right?

Jenny: Spring Top Progress
Jenny: Spring Top Progress

Then yesterday, I began sewing! It was so nice to get reacquainted with my sewing machine. It had been almost a month since I had used it (the last time was to finish the baby kimono outfit for Stephanie, and then my mom worked on a couple of projects for our house). Anyway, I felt a little rusty, but it all came together.

I started with the straps. I tried my best to do a nice rounded end, but eek, my perfectionist eye is none too pleased. Hmmm. I had to forge ahead so I pressed and top-stitched them. I am hoping the addition of large buttons will hide the imperfections somehow.

Jenny: Spring Top Progress
Jenny: Spring Top Progress

I sewed the straps into their spots on the back top piece. They remind me of a bunny, he he. I guess I still have Easter on the brain.

Jenny: Spring Top Progress

Then I sewed the front top piece together. I ruffled the top edge of the front bottom piece and attached it to the front top piece. And that's about as far as I got before the munchkin woke up from his nap and it was time to get dinner started.

Jenny: Spring Top Progress
Jenny: Spring Top Progress

This afternoon, during what I hope is a nice long nap for Ben, I need to add the pockets -- I forgot to draw the pattern for them or cut them from the fabric, woops! Next step will be ruffling the back and attaching the top piece to it. Then sewing the front and back together and fitting it on myself. Then attaching the straps to the front with buttons, and hemming the bottom. Am I forgetting anything?? Do you think I can get it done??!

So, what are your feelings toward the April 30 deadline? I guess if neither of us makes the official deadline, we can just do our own little show-and-tell here! We shall see!

I am also curious to hear from our readers. Do you have tips for knocking off an existing piece of clothing and creating a pattern from it? Are you making yourself a top or other clothing for spring and summer?

Angel-mini-buttonJen!  I love it!  That was my favorite combination and I love that style.  It's pretty similar to what I'm making!  Mine will have pockets too, but inside instead of outside.  Progress for me:  ironing the fabric and laying it out with the pattern sheet on the table.  Most of today I was taking care of the poor husband (he ended up with a cortisone shot, muscle relaxers and some pain medication, plus he had some myofascial release work done..........) but I am going to try to cut out my pieces tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...