Friday, April 30, 2010

Spring Top: Done!

By-Jenny2

I'm here! Sorry for the radio silence this week. I have been working madly to finish my Spring Top, with hopes of entering the competition over at Made By Rae. Well, it's done!!!! Yay!!!! Dangerous piles of dirty dishes are crowding my sink and kitchen counters, the entire apartment is in dire need of being vacuumed, my kid was in his PJ's until waaaay late and watched waaaay too much TV today... But, my top is done (with about 3 hours to spare till deadline, eek!).

Without further ado, here's the photo I'm submitting to the competition:

Button Top by Jenny at Stumbles & Stitches

As discussed in much detail on this blog previously, this top was copied from a cute little summer tunic from Target, circa 3 years ago. I love it so much and wear it all the time. It was about time I made another version. What I like specifically about this top is: 1) it is super comfortable, first and foremost; 2) it is very versatile and looks great on a "regular" woman as well as a pregnant or nursing one; and 3) it is a sleeveless top that fits perfectly over almost any bra, and I love that convenience.

Here's the Target top to refresh your memory. (Wrinkly, wrinkly, sorry.)

SpringTop-11

I chose a combo of fabric that I just love for this top: lilac cotton with white dots that I inherited from my mom's stash purge, and a lotus flower print cotton that is actually a sheet I thrifted at Goodwill a couple of years ago and love. I used this same combination of fabrics for a baby kimono outfit previously and wanted to switch the focus of fabric on the lotus print this time.

SpringTop-01

In my last update on Tuesday, I still had quite a few things to do on the top. All week, I've been using every minute of free time to make some progress, which as you know is quite the challenge between my 2-yr-old who wants to "help" me iron, or the cat who grabs my pincushion every chance she gets and, I kid you not, tries to eat the pins (cuckoo cat!).

Anyway, I moved forward slowly but surely. Finished sewing my top. Added pockets (did NOT like that process). Top-stitched the upper portion. Fitted it on myself. Hemmed. Made buttons and sewed them on. And finally took a bunch of photos in the brightest room I could find in my house on this cloudy day: my bedroom (with an impossibly wrinkly duvet cover, sorry again). But, instead of keeping on talking, I'll just show you the photos.

Jenny: Spring Top
Jenny: Spring Top
Jenny: Spring Top
Jenny: Spring Top
Jenny: Spring Top
Jenny: Spring Top
Jenny: Spring Top
Jenny: Spring Top

Here's the finished product:

Jenny: Spring Top
Jenny: Spring Top
Jenny: Spring Top

And here's my little self-orchestrated photo shoot to show you the top actually on me and how it fits and all that. Jenny in all her domestic glory! I did muster putting on some lip gloss, woot! I chose to leave my face in the pics so I could say a little virtual hi and you could see what I look like with about 5 more inches of hair length (which is coming off soon, soon, soon I think, despite my husband's pleas, sorry honey).

Jenny: Spring Top
Jenny: Spring Top
Jenny: Spring Top
Jenny: Spring Top
Jenny: Spring Top
Jenny: Spring Top
Yes, you can see a bra strap here, which belies what I said earlier, but I was moving around so much setting up the camera on the high shelf of my closet and then running to my spot before the timer went off, that the top shifted a bit... Excuses, excuses...

Below is probably how I'll be wearing the top, with a little cardigan, since spring is quite chilly here in the Pacific Northwest.

Jenny: Spring Top

And that about rounds up my progress and entry for the Spring Top competition! What are your impressions? Do you think I even stand a chance to make it to the Top 50?

I know you've had a lot of unforeseen schedule mishaps this week and won't be able to complete your top in time. You must be disappointed, I'm sorry. I sure hope you're going to finish it though, because I want to see it, as do our readers, I bet!!

To everyone who reads this, make sure and check out Made By Rae this coming week. She'll be posting finalists every day for readers to vote on. My fingers are officially crossed!

 Angel-mini-buttonJenny I love it!  The fabrics are great together and you did a great job reproducing the other shirt.  It's so versatile!  The cardigan on top is super cute.  And of course I'm going to say that you'll get in the top 50!  

I actually cleaned off my work space and started sewing!  Then I realized that I need a "sharp" needle instead of the "ball point" I purchased (according to the book).  What I had wasn't working that great so it's off to JoAnn again tomorrow!

7 comments:

  1. Jenny, you are so cute and I love the top so much! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, you are so kind, thank you! Glad you like the top! I think I'll work on posting a pattern and tutorial at some point in the near future, stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found your top in the flickr pool and now I'm over here stalking. I love this top so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Molly, thanks for the compliments on my top! I checked out your Flickr stream the other day, I love your stuff. Will add your blog to my reader!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jenny -

    I really love this top over on Spring Top Week. I blogged about it here today, hope that was all right (with a link back to this post) http://sycamorecorner.blogspot.com/2010/05/spring-tops.html Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Carolyn! Thank you so much for including my top in your favorites. Great blog, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great! I'd wear it!

    I have a weekly Thursday blog party especially for people to share things they've made to be worn. Stop by if you'd like!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...