Monday, March 15, 2010

Two weeks of nothing crafty makes for a crabby Mama......

By-Angel

Can you hear me sighing all the way in Seattle? All my creative supplies have been boxed up for over two weeks, and it is starting to get to me. Thankfully I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Here's the latest photo on our progress:

Angel: Craft space

What do you think? I am very excited by how much light there is in both rooms now. It's only been three or four months since I said, "Hey, taking that wall down would really transform this space." Pretty good turnaround for us! Of course it took seven years of living there for us to get moving in that direction so I guess it all evens out.

I've definitely learned a lesson from all this upheaval: creating is essential for my well-being. We've talked about "making" in the past, and all the different incarnations of it that manifest in every day life. Cooking, keeping a house, gardening, tending to the chickens could all be considered "creative" pursuits and in fact I do try to honor those sometimes mundane chores by infusing them with creative energy whenever I can.

But somehow *crafting* helps me get in touch with myself in a way that daily work does not. I think everyone needs something they come back to, again and again, that reminds them of who they are outside of their typical role in life. For me that touchstone is crafting. The act of sitting down with an idea and some supplies, using my hands to manifest what is in my head and heart, is a form of worship for me. I need to create to maintain the connection between body and soul.

All that to say: I have no project to share with you this week, as I've not made anything new to show. I have lots of ideas though, and look forward to turning those ethereal mental images into something tangible soon.

In the meantime, I'd love some color suggestions (from you and our readers)! We're thinking a nice neutral gray but I'm not married to the idea. I'm thinking of dying the curtains we already had in the former office, mostly to conserve resources (both financial and otherwise) but if I find a great deal on fabric (thanks for the tip a few days ago Isabelle!), I might make some.

Jenny-mini-button First off, the renovation looks GREAT! I love it! So much space and so much light, it's going to be a wonderful family room.

You very eloquently addressed an emotion I feel quite often when sitting down to craft, sew or otherwise create, but had never pinpointed. Creating somehow connects my hands with my heart: when I make something with my hands, I feel such satisfaction and joy, unlike anything else. Not to say my family or my professional career haven't brought me satisfaction, but crafting is just fulfilling in a completely different, yet so important, way.

As for wall colors... A neutral gray sounds lovely, I would just be cautious to go lighter than your vision so as not to darken the room too much once it dries. I really do like that idea though, especially if you pepper the room with some red and green, as you had mentioned for the curtains. Or how about a subdued sage green, would that clash with your dining room? Or maybe a light eggplant color? You could also go super bold and paint the whole room red. I would love to do that someday, I always feel like red has such vibrant energy. I know that red is not for everyone though, he he. Can't wait to see the next steps in the make-over!!

4 comments:

  1. I love that blue, so I guess I'm no help. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, that color is really more purple than blue. The photo isn't very accurate! I do love that color, but after 7 years the paint job is looking pretty shabby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you decide on a color? The other day I saw the most beautiful yellow and I thought of you and your project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky we chose a nice neutral gray! It looks great but I can't seem to get a good photo of it. I'll keep trying so I can post! We are going all out: painting trim, ceiling and walls.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...