Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Scrappy Squares

By-Jenny2

Do you remember those 2 orange squares I made a couple months ago, all proud that I had just followed my creative impulses? Well, over the past few weeks, whenever the impulse strikes between works in progress or on a day with little time to dive into something too complex (which, as you know, are not few and far between...), I go through my scraps and make a square or two.

I've continued with the color theme and have had lots of fun picking out fabrics according to a certain range of hues. Turns out I have a lot of blue scraps!



Jenny: Scrappy Squares
Jenny: Scrappy Squares
Jenny: Scrappy Squares

These are so quick and easy to sew together (especially when you're not too particular about the details, as I've made a point not to be) that I've quickly built up a little collection.



Jenny: Scrappy Squares
Jenny: Scrappy Squares
Jenny: Scrappy Squares
Jenny: Scrappy Squares
Jenny: Scrappy Squares
Jenny: Scrappy Squares

As mentioned above and evidenced by the photos, I haven't been too nitpicky about the details. As you know, I've never made a quilt before and this is my first attempt at sewing quilt blocks. The point is to learn through trial and error. My two simple goals are: 1) ending up with something square for each block, and 2) using up my scraps. Check and check. I haphazardly piece the scraps together, though most of the time they are pretty straight-edged, and trim the final product to 10 inches by 10 inches.

I am learning a lot in the process. For example, it is obvious to me now that I should have started each block with a little square piece at the center instead of a rectangle, it looks much better! I am trying to also be more careful about the print featured in each scrap and, IF the scrap is big enough that I have a choice in where to trim, to try and focus on a visually interesting tidbit of the fabric. I have experimented with pressing seams: I've mostly pressed them toward the darker print, but they get twisted so often when I add on the next piece, that I figure there must be a better way.

I've realized that my personality may be more suited toward the structure of a "planned" quilt, with measurements and order. I think I'm too much of a perfectionist at heart to accept the mess that some of these blocks are in the end. I just cannot go wonky. Unless maybe I do the math beforehand so that it is regimented somehow.

But, as I keep reminding myself: this is not about being a perfectionist. I need to stick with the goals I set for myself at the start. This project is meant to be about the learning experience, and using scraps. And if you look closely, you will that that I have really embraced the "scrappiness" factor.



Jenny: Scrappy Squares
Jenny: Scrappy Squares
Jenny: Scrappy Squares

I've even used some pieces with those poked selvedge edges (is it redundant to say "selvedge edge"??), I don't know if that's a huge mistake? These pieces are so small, I doubt they will be too obvious in the finished product, which will be enjoyed in our home anyway. Oh well, whatever. I guess I am here again embracing the scrappiness!



Jenny: Scrappy Squares
Jenny: Scrappy Squares

I laid them all on the floor to get an idea of what a quilt might look like, and I'm pretty psyched!



Jenny: Scrappy Squares
Jenny: Scrappy Squares

The next colors on my list of scrappy squares to make are red, yellow, brown and maybe black/white... or purple. Can't decide. I will have to see what the scrap bags have to offer in order to add to my square pile!



Jenny: Scrappy Squares

Angel, I know you made that adorable doll quilt recently, and I have seen several super cool quilts around your house. What is your experience with making quilts? Got any advice for me here?

Angel-mini-button Jenny I love your squares! And you know I love the "wonky". That small doll quilt is the only one I've ever made, the other quilts you've seen at my house were made by my sister! I'll have to do a post on them sometime soon, they are some of my most treasured possessions. So, I'm afraid I have no advice on the subject of quilting. I've had my eye on some Denyse Schmidt quilt patterns, specifically "Hills 'n' Hollers" and "Single Girl".  I have a ton of scraps, too!  I may have to embark on the quilt making journey soon, I've had the idea in the back of my head for quite a few months and it's time to "just do it"!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...