Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Buttercup Crazy

By-Jenny2

Do you read the blog Made by Rae? Since you linked to a post by MADE recently, I have a feeling you must. I really like Rae's voice and projects. She is a busy stay-at-home mama to 2 little ones and finds the time to make awesome stuff AND blog about it. She also graciously shares the patterns for her awesome stuff and/or offers licenses to make and sell. Both smart and nice, me thinks.

Anyway, as you know, for this last Christmas, I made more gifts than I ever have previously. For the women in my family, I made bags. For my sister and my 2 brothers' girlfriends specifically, I decided to made Buttercup Bags. Rae's design for this purse is so cute, stylish and trendy -- you can't go wrong. I had a lot of fun picking out the fabric combination for each one and thought the results were very fitting for each girl's personality. (If they read this, maybe they can chime in on that in the comments!) I made quite a few mistakes along the way, but overall, they turned out pretty nicely. Here are pics of my Christmas Buttercups.

Sophie's bag:

Jenny: Buttercup Purse
Jenny: Buttercup Purse
Jenny: Buttercup Purse

Heather's bag:

Jenny: Buttercup Purse
Jenny: Buttercup Purse

Kenzie's bag:

Jenny: Buttercup Purse
Jenny: Buttercup Purse

When a girlfriend of mine, here in Seattle, discovered I could sew things like purses, she "commissioned" me to make one for a fundraiser auction at her school. The request was: a bright, colorful, funky purse. The first thought that came to my mind was orange!

Here are the fabrics I picked from my stash:

Jenny: Buttercup Purse

And as a back-up, I chose that red Valori Wells print I love:

Jenny: Buttercup Purse

So, just like you with the Handmade Home towel rug, I cut and prepped two! (Note: Just like on my Christmas bags, I decided to skip the little tab embellishment that is part of the pattern. Since I was already combining fabrics, I thought it would be overkill.)

Jenny: Buttercup Purse

This time around, I kept in mind the things I learned from my first batch of Buttercup Bags. First off, use magnetic snaps and not regular snaps!! I don't know what I was thinking at the fabric store when buying my notions at Christmas time. Non-magnetic snaps are a pain on both ends: the sewing and the receiving one. You have to hand-sew them and they put a lot more wear-and-tear on the purse. Magnetic snaps can be set-up in a pinch (no pun intended). Just be careful not to cut too big an opening for the little metal legs! Tiny is better and just gently push the metal through.

I placed the snaps too low on this new one, I think. Oh well. Rae instructs you to place the snaps 1/2 inch from the edge, but when I did that on my first purses, the snap kept getting caught on the sewing machine foot when stitching the layers together. I compensated by moving the snap a bit lower, but maybe a bit too much. What you see in this pic is also the extra layer I cut for the purse: repurposing a plain flannel sheet to add bulk to the quilting cottons I used on both the outside and lining.

Jenny: Buttercup Purse

I love the pleats in this purse design. I think it is really what gives it such a sophisticated appeal. On my first attempt at making these purses, I sewed too far when stitching the pleats in place and had to carefully rip out some of the stitches that showed through on the outside of the finished purse. Yikes! So, lesson learned, on this one, I sewed just a tiny bit, probably under a 1/4 inch.

Jenny: Buttercup Purse
Jenny: Buttercup Purse

Let's see... Another trick I learned is that when pinning the top part to the pleated part, pinning the middle in place first helps do an even job. When starting from one end, I was never able to match the sides on the other end. I ended up an inch short or so!

Jenny: Buttercup Purse

I love the top-stitching in this project. I love top-stitching in all projects, actually. It really does give the final product such a "finished" look. For all my purses, I've used contrasting color thread which means I have had to be very careful in the top-stitching phase -- with mixed results! For the handle especially, the top-stitching proved problematic. Next purse I make, I think I'll top-stitch the handle itself, but will find a "blending" color thread for attaching it to the purse. I find top-stitching looks a bit awkward there, at least with my novice skills.

Jenny: Buttercup Purse
Jenny: Buttercup Purse
Jenny: Buttercup Purse

Here's my finished bag! (The other one isn't quite done yet... I ran out of time this weekend, with the munchkin running around, needing attention, you know the drill...) Jessie seemed really pleased with it (her comments included: perfect and super cute) so that was a quite a relief! And I hope it helps raise some money at their auction.

Jenny: Buttercup Purse

I am thinking of adapting this pattern to make myself a shoulder-strapped everyday bag. What do you think? Have you made any of Rae's projects?

Made by Rae
Buttercup Bag Pattern
Rae's recent post, all about boy-focused projects!


Angel-mini-button Jenny what a cute bag! Those colors look perfect for Sophie! I think the middle one is my personal fave though, I love the green and orange together. I always have that same problem when sewing too many layers together along edges. Is there a trick that we aren't getting? I need to research this a little. What type of pins do you use? I have some t-shaped dress pins and regular tiny headed pins, I might need to check out the other options.

Top-stitching is such a great finishing touch, and it's so easy! I think I'm going to start experimenting with thread color as a design tool, I've been picking the most neutral thread I can these last few projects.

8 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful, Jenny! My favorite is the last. You should sell them on Etsy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, you are too kind. I see so many details wrong with my work, I feel like I am still far off from being able to sell such things on Etsy. Maybe I'm being too much of a perfectionist?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made that bag many many times and I love it so much. Next time I'm going to increase the pattern size (150% maybe) and make a bigger version with some more internal pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adrianne, I seem to remember an Amy Butler-fabric bag that you had brought to the Thai restaurant for Angel's shower -- do you recall that? Didn't you adapt that one from the Buttercup pattern? That's the bag I was thinking of when I mentioned wanting to adapt the pattern into a shoulder bag. I really love this pattern too -- so simple and straightforward and turns out gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a happy, productive site. I love the energy here and the lifestyle intention. Good for you. Impressive! Way to go, Angel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the kind words, Leisa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried to download the pattern but it wasnt working, I think I could make it from your pictures if I new how to sew the pocket and lining in could you tell me?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unfortunately, I don't feel comfortable sharing the details of Rae's pattern because I want to respect her copyright. The pattern is a PDF, are you able to open those? If you contact Rae directly, she may be able to help you out. I hope it works out for you, it really is a lovely pattern to work with. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for writing a comment! While the format of Stumbles & Stitches is an exchange between two friends, we love to engage with our readers and expand the conversation in the comments.

We usually respond to your questions here, unless it seems more appropriate to send you an email. So please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...